Sunday, October 20, 2024

Women’s volleyball finishes 1-1 in doubleheader at home

Bulls face their first at home loss of the season

The UB women’s volleyball team went 1-1 in a doubleheader at home.

Looking to defend the top spot of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) and their six-game winning streak, the UB women’s volleyball team (11-11, 7-2 MAC) hosted both the Bowling Green Falcons (12-8, 7-2 MAC) on Thursday and the Toledo Rockets (13-8, 6-3 MAC) on Friday, going 1-1.

The Bulls’ first matchup took place Thursday night against the Falcons. UB took an early lead in the first set, but the Falcons were able to come back to take the set 25-19. Going into the second set, the Bulls were once again leading 8-3, but the Falcons were able to get their footing and push past the Bulls winning the set 25-18. The third set kicked off with a close early set, but once again the Falcons got the best of them, closing the set 25-16.

There was also a big discrepancy in attack errors between the two teams, as UB had 25 total to Bowling Green’s 11. 

The Bulls were able to bounce back Friday night by sweeping the Rockets. The first set was close, but Buffalo was able to keep an edge on Toledo, and closed the set with a 25-23 win. The Bulls kept the momentum up in the second set with a 13-3 lead, and were then able to secure the set win 25-16. The final set saw a similar close battle to the first, with the Bulls once again taking the victory 25-18.

With the two results from this week, Buffalo are now in a three way tie for first place in the conference; alongside Bowling Green and Central Michigan (16-5, 7-2 MAC).

The Bulls are back in action on Tuesday at Alumni Arena where they’ll take on the Akron Zips (8-13, 4-5 MAC) at 6 p.m.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com