Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Western New Yorkers gather for annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s

Participants walked along Buffalo’s Outer Harbor to show their determination to find a cure for Alzheimer’s disease

Walkers planted flowers in a promise garden to honor, support and remember those who have battled Alzheimer’s and dementia.

Thousands of walkers from the Western New York (WNY) chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association hosted their annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s at the Outer Harbor on Saturday. The event aimed to raise funds and awareness for local Alzheimer’s patients, caregivers and resources. 

At the event, walkers pick from flower-shaped pinwheels to plant in the Promise Garden. The color of each participant’s flower is determined by their connection to the cause. 

Orange flowers are given to those who support the vision of a world without Alzheimer’s and dementia. Yellow flowers are given to supporters or caregivers for someone living with the disease. Purple flowers are given to participants who have lost someone to the disease. Blue flowers are given to walkers who are currently living with Alzheimer’s or dementia. This emotional aspect creates an alluring space to honor, support and remember those who have struggled with Alzheimer’s and dementia.

The Walk to End Alzheimer’s allows members of the community to understand they are not alone in their fight against this disease. Many walkers shared the impact that Alzheimer’s and dementia have had on their families.

“My mom died from vascular dementia in 2012, so it was at the end of her life that I decided to get involved with the organization. We’ve been doing the walk with our family ever since 2012,” Cynthia Ludwig, a member of the WNY chapter’s board of directors, said. “It’s a difficult disease. It’s one that we don’t have a cure for yet, but to see people here with the hope for a cure and the hope for a treatment… I just like seeing everybody come together to try to advance the mission of ending Alzheimer’s.”

The event also reminds Western New Yorkers how many people from their community are affected by this disease.

“I think it’s really neat to see everybody coming here with different backgrounds and experiences, but we are here for the same thing. People have T-shirts that are unique to their family, unique to their story, their experience. I think that’s really great to see,” said UB assistant professor and two-year attendee Jacob Neiheisel.

Dave Greber, a WIVB Channel 4 news anchor, has emceed the Walk to End Alzheimer’s for eight years. In 2023, he earned a seat on the local organization’s board of directors. Greber says that this event allows local families to become informed about resources offered by the Alzheimer’s Association.

“There are a lot of people, in our community, who don’t have access to resources, like transportation to medical appointments or support groups, someone just to talk to, someone to help them shop, someone to do basic things. People don’t have that,” Greber said. “That’s what our organization does. We’re able to help families, patients and caregivers with that kind of stuff. So, it's amazing to see all the support out there.”

To ensure that these resources are available to the community, donations are crucial. Greber believes that it is important for those who are not directly impacted by Alzheimer’s to understand that the WNY Alzheimer’s Association uses donations locally.

“With our organization, the money raised stays in Western New York. So know that if you raise money for us, it goes to local caregivers. It goes to local patients. The money stays in your community. That's a really good reason, especially if you don’t have a direct impact,” Greber said.

The Walk to End Alzheimer’s instills in members of the community something that can be summed up in three simple words: hope, caring and support.

The Alzheimer’s Association has a 24-hour hotline that can be reached at (800) 272-3900. This hotline serves Alzheimer’s and dementia patients, caregivers, family members and the public.

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com