Wednesday, October 09, 2024

UB enrolls 30,558 students, exceeding enrollment goals for sixth consecutive year

This fall sees increase in graduate students, slight decrease in first-years

30,558 students — 19,117 matriculating undergraduates and 11,441 graduate students — enrolled at UB this fall, making it the sixth consecutive year that UB exceeded its enrollment goal of 30,000 students. The student body represents 101 countries and all 50 U.S. states. 

“As the flagship institution of the SUNY system, we are proud to set a high standard for education and research, attracting students locally, nationally and globally,” Christopher Connor, the vice provost for enrollment, said.

UB enrolled a record number of 6,390 master’s students this fall, and enrolled 2,637 doctoral students.

UB’s international student population has decreased since 2022-2023, from 5,781 students to 5,045 students.

“With targeted recruitment in key international markets, as well as a strong focus on attracting students from across New York State and the U.S., we are confident that UB will continue to draw talented individuals from around the world, solidifying our reputation as a globally recognized institution,” Connor said.

There was a slight decrease in the number of first year students enrolled with 4,158 first-year students enrolled this year compared to 4,197 students in 2023.

Connor said strategic efforts to expand recruitment and enhance scholarship opportunities will “further elevate UB’s global standing.”

Hannah Rashad is the assistant news editor and can be reached hannah.rashad@ubspectrum.com

HANNAH RASHAD

Hannah Rashad is an assistant news editor.