Wednesday, October 23, 2024

Mid-season report: How has coach Lembo impacted UB Football?

Bulls showing solid progress since Lembo’s arrival

UB football head coach Pete Lembo has changed many facets of the team.

Since joining UB back in January, head coach Pete Lembo has already made a noticeable impact on the Bulls football team.

Lembo was hired as the new coach back in January, immediately following the departure of previous head coach Maurice “Mo” Linguist, who took a coaching position at Alabama. Linguist ended his stint at UB following a less-than-favorable 3-9 season. He left behind the second lowest ranked recruiting class in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), and the Bulls ended up losing a lot of talent to the transfer portal; giving Lembo an uphill battle from the get-go.

The Bulls’ current overall 4-3 record  does not tell the whole story. A closer look at the new coaching approach will show that Lembo and his staff are laying the groundwork to a successful turnaround for UB football.

Signature wins

Under Lembo, Buffalo have managed to record a number of impressive wins over formidable opponents.

To begin MAC play, he led the Bulls to an upset win over the nationally ranked Northern Illinois Huskies (NIU) (4-3, 1-2 MAC) 23-20, marking just the second time that UB has recorded a win over a ranked program. The historic result proved that the Bulls are able to compete against elite opponents. 

Lembo’s Bulls have also notched impressive victories over UMass (1-6, 0-0 FBS), Lafayette (4-3, 1-1 PAT), and Toledo (5-2, 2-1 MAC); the latter of whom were last season’s MAC title runner-ups.

The impressive showings in their wins have reflected a growing sense of confidence among the team, embracing their newfound identity under Lembo’s leadership.

Special-teams development 

Known for his strong emphasis on special teams, Lembo has brought his focus on it to Buffalo.

UB’s special teams unit has undergone a massive transformation this season not missing a single extra-point attempt and have scored nearly all of their field goals. Their current conversion rate stands at .833, a stark improvement from last season's .579 under Linguist.

Redshirt sophomore kicker Upton Bellenfant has been a standout figure in the special teams, producing consistent performances and has yet to miss a single extra-point or field goal this season. He is currently the top scorer for the Bulls with 39 total points.

Along with that, Lembo has helped improve the Bulls’ punting game immensely. Junior punter Ethan Duane currently averages 43.8 yards per kick, the most in the MAC. He was recently named the MAC Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance against Toledo.

Emerging Talent 

Bellenfant and Duane are not the only players to have been making an impact under Lembo. 

Although he has proven before that he is a defensive threat, graduate linebacker Shaun Dolac has solidified that role this season. He currently has the most tackles in the nation with 98, and has received numerous honors for his performances so far this season. 

Offensively, redshirt sophomore wide receiver Victor Snow has marked 300 yards on 25 receptions so far this season, including an 84-yard catch at the homecoming game against Western Michigan, off a pass from senior quarterback C.J. Ogbonna. In that same match, Ogbonna recorded his first career 300 yard game.

On the ground, junior running back Al-Jay Henderson has racked up 374 yards on 69 carries, providing solid on-field production. Redshirt freshman running back Lamar Sperling has also contributed effectively to UB's running game.

The development of numerous players and their growing impact on the program highlights the effectiveness of Lembo’s coaching strategy.

What’s left for a successful rejuvenation?

Despite Lembo and his coaching staff successfully building the foundation for UB’s program to move in the right direction, there are still areas that need improvement.

One significant area UB has been struggling with this season is penalties. The Bulls have given up an average of 57.3 penalty yards per game, which has allowed opponents to capitalize.

Along with that, the Bulls have also struggled to make conversions on third down, averaging only a 27.08% success rate in comparison to their opponents combined 38.26%. This has led to stalled drives and missed chances for Buffalo, giving opponents the opportunity to make way for scoring drives of their own. Improving third-down performance will be key to maintain offensive momentum and limit the opponents’ chances to take control of the game. 

With coach Lembo at the helm, UB football has shown that they are in a new era of growth and resilience. While some challenges remain, the improvements suggest that the program is moving in a positive direction.

Rodrigo Feijão is the senior sports editor and can be reached at rodrigo.feijao@ubspectrum.com