Monday, October 28, 2024

Football struggles in loss against Ohio

Bulls find trouble reaching the end zone in comeback attempt

UB football suffered a 47-16 defeat to the Ohio Bobcats on Saturday afternoon at Peden Stadium.

UB football (4-4, 2-2 MAC) collected their first back-to-back losses of the season following a 47-16 defeat to the Ohio Bobcats (5-3, 3-1 MAC) on Saturday afternoon at Peden Stadium.

The match got off to a slow start with the only points on the board coming from a Bobcat field goal kick late in the first quarter. The second quarter would be the most productive quarter for the Bulls. They scored their first touchdown of the game from 27 yards out with a run from redshirt freshman running back Messiah Burch, earning him his second of the season. 

The Bobcats would go on to score two touchdowns of their own before Buffalo would score again with a 40-yard field goal from redshirt sophomore kicker Upton Bellenfant.

The Bulls didn’t have an answer for the Bobcats offense, as they went on to concede touchdowns at the end of the first half, and start of the second; extending Ohio’s lead to 31-10. It wasn’t until late in the 3rd quarter, with a pass from senior quarterback C.J. Ogbonna to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Victor Snow, that the Bulls would find the endzone again.

The Bulls would not be able to score another touchdown, as the Bobcats defense overwhelmed UB. A pick six would be the final blow to UB’s Saturday afternoon, as it led to Ohio increasing their lead to 31 points, effectively sealing their victory.

Snow was the bright spot for the Bulls’ offense, garnering 5 catches, 75 yards and a touchdown. He also earned his fifth touchdown of the season with this performance and has now reached the end zone for three straight games.

Despite the uneven scoreline, redshirt sophomore Red Murdock led the Bulls defense, finishing with 14 tackles. Senior nickel Jalen Mcnair also performed well as he set a career high in tackles with 12.

Buffalo will look to turn things around next Saturday in an away conference matchup against the Akron Zips (1-6, 0-3 MAC). Kickoff is TBA.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com