Wednesday, October 02, 2024

Fall Fest 2024 brought energy, music and community

A last-minute cancellation, lap dances and fireworks

<p>Saweetie and Rae Sremmurd performed at this year's Fall Fest in Baird Point.</p>

Saweetie and Rae Sremmurd performed at this year's Fall Fest in Baird Point.

The UB Student Association’s (SA) Fall Fest lit up Baird Point on Friday with performances by Saweetie and Rae Sremmurd, even after a late announcement about Cash Cobain’s absence that left some attendees disappointed.

“I feel like he’s the reason a lot of people came, and like, he’s just not here,” Karina Simone, a freshman nursing major, said.

Many students who had been looking forward to Cash Cobain’s performance left early, and the gap in the line-up resulted in students waiting for Saweetie for over two hours.

Despite this, Saweetie came on at approximately 8:10 p.m. and delivered an energetic 25-minute set. The “My Type” singer made multiple attempts to engage the crowd and struck gold when she invited two male students on stage to receive lap dances from her backup dancers to test if they could “stay icy or not.” The crowd went wild.

Rae Sremmurd came on at approximately 9 p.m. and started talking to students during their set, boosting the crowd’s spirits with phrases like, “the coolest thing you can be is smart.” Starting with “No Type,” Fall Fest was transformed into a party, as Swae Lee called for mosh pits throughout the crowd.

The duo of Slim Jxmmi and Swae Lee kept it simple and enjoyable by playing some of their most popular songs like “No Flex Zone” and “Sativa.”

Even after an energetic night, some students would’ve liked to see some variation in the lineup in the future.

“I wish there were more of a mix, like different genres. I heard a lot of students saying they wanted more indie, alternative and rock music,” sophomore psychology major Rosy Bochner said.

Though Cash Cobain’s absence may have cast a shadow over the night, performances by Saweetie and Rae Sremmurd kept the energy alive. The night ended with fireworks and students left Baird Point satisfied with an eventful evening.

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com