Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Women’s volleyball goes winless in Ellis Rowland Memorial Tournament

UB’s second tournament of the season ends with three losses

The UB women’s volleyball team failed to secure a win at the Ellis Rowland Memorial Tournament.

Following their success at the Buffalo Invite, the UB women’s volleyball team (3-2, 0-0 MAC) traveled to Colgate University this past weekend to attend the Ellis Rowland Memorial Tournament. The Bulls were unable to repeat last week’s performance as they failed to secure a win.

To kick off the weekend, Buffalo faced their flagship rivals Stony Brook (4-0, 0-0 CAA). The Bulls were able to come back from being down a set and win the second set 25-22. Unfortunately, they could not pull through and fell short, ultimately losing 3-1.  

UB then took on the Colgate Raiders (1-4, 0-0 MAC) on Saturday. After once again losing their first set 20-25, the Bulls’ offense fought hard to stomp the Raiders in the second set 25-13. The Bulls pulled off an impressive offensive performance, marking 18 kills compared to Colgate’s four.  Even after a strong second set, the Bulls struggled to pull off a win, falling 3-1 once again. Despite the defeat, there was a stand-out performance from freshman defensive specialist Keira Kleidon who earned a career-high 15 digs.

On Sunday afternoon, the Bulls played their final match of the invitational, facing the undefeated UConn Huskies (6-0, 0-0 BEC). In a similar fashion to the rest of the weekend, the Bulls lost their first set, but were able to pull off a 25-23 win in the second set. Standing out was fifth-year outside hitter and last week’s MAC offensive player of the week Katrin Trebichavska, dominating the way with six kills. Unfortunately, after struggling both offensively and defensively, the team was out-hit and out-blocked, losing 3-1 for the third time this weekend.

The Bulls are set to take on the Wright State Raiders (4-2, 0-0 Horizon) to kick off the Buckeye Invite in Columbus, Ohio this Friday at 4 p.m.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com