Thursday, September 19, 2024

Women’s soccer goes undefeated in non-conference play for first time in 25 years

Another milestone for the Bulls as conference play draws near

After securing a win and a draw in last week’s excursion to Colorado, the UB women’s soccer team (5-0-2, 0-0 MAC) finished their non-conference preseason undefeated for the first time since 1999. This marks yet another historic accomplishment for the Bulls this season, as they also achieved their first ever top-25 ranking a few weeks earlier and are currently ranked 51st in the NCAA Rating Percentage Index. Buffalo also currently hold a top-20 spot in NCAA goals against average at .429.

This fairytale start to the season is already a stark improvement from last year. The Bulls’ home record this season (3-0) is already better than the 2023 team’s home record (2-4-2).

When comparing this year’s Bulls to their 2022 championship season, there is a similarity in terms of their defensive prowess.

UB recorded 14 total clean sheets in 2022, tying the program record, and only conceded nine goals. This year, they have already marked four clean sheets and only allowed three goals with 11 matches in the regular season remaining. If the team can maintain their defensive form, while also building on their current momentum, they have the potential to make a deep postseason run.

Their first conference test will be this Thursday, where the Bulls will go up against another undefeated rival in Akron (5-0-2, 0-0 MAC) at UB Stadium. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Rodrigo Feijão is the senior sports editor and can be reached at rodrigo.feijao@ubspectrum.com