Monday, September 16, 2024

Women’s soccer defeats crosstown rivals Canisius 1-0

Galko scores worldie in hard-fought win

<p>UB Women's soccer defeated Canisius University 1-0 on Wednesday.</p>

UB Women's soccer defeated Canisius University 1-0 on Wednesday.

The UB women’s soccer team (3-0-1, 0-0-0 MAC) defeated Canisius University (1-1-1, 0-0-0 MAAC) at UB Stadium on Wednesday night, edging the Golden Griffins 1-0 in a highly physical match. An incredible second-half goal from sophomore defender Maya Galko proved to be the difference as the Bulls extended their early season streak to four games.

After defeating No. 7 Pitt and climbing up the NCAA rankings, the Bulls had plenty of momentum in their favor. With Buffalonian bragging rights at stake, this game was destined to be a dogfight. Canisius struggled to break through the Buffalo defense, failing to register a single shot in the first half. The Bulls were slightly more threatening in their attack, but still managed just two shots on goal in the first 45 minutes of play. 

Halfway into the second half, Canisius were denied a clear goalscoring opportunity by sophomore goalkeeper Lexie Thompson. Just seven minutes later, the Bulls broke the deadlock at the other end with a corner kick goal from Galko, scoring her first career goal as a UB Bull.

Though UB was able to grind out the win, head coach Shawn Burke wanted to see a little bit more quality out of his team. “We’ve got some fixing to do,” Burke said in an interview with UB Athletics.

The Bulls will play next on Sept. 8 at 1 p.m. for Senior Day, facing off against Colgate University at home.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com