Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Women’s soccer beats Eastern Michigan, goes 2-0 to open conference play

Bulls extend unbeaten streak to nine

UB women's soccer go 2-0 in conference play after defeating Eastern Michigan at home.

After beating the Akron Zips (5-2-2, 0-2 MAC) 2-0 on the road this past Thursday, the Bulls (7-0-2, 2-0 MAC) returned to UB Stadium on Sunday to battle the Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-4-1, 0-1-1 MAC), winning 1-0 after a goal in the 72nd minute. UB has bested the Eagles in the four games they’ve played since 2019, and are now at nine matches unbeaten this season.

In Thursday’s matchup, Buffalo dominated the game offensively, outshooting the Zips 18 to one. Sophomore goalkeeper Lexie Thompson was left untested as Akron’s lone shot was off target. UB wouldn’t see a goal until the 77th minute, when graduate defender Frederique St.-Jean scored her first goal for UB off of a header following a corner kick. Their second goal would also come off of a corner, this time from fifth year defensive midfielder Olivia Bizzoni in the 84th minute.

Sunday’s game was a more competitive one. 

Throughout the match, both teams were constantly battling for possession, looking for any opportunity to take control. Although UB were constantly pushing forward, they struggled to maintain a physical poise, committing 13 fouls, the most they have gotten all season. Eventually, sophomore midfielder Laiken Kiser seized an opportunity to score her first career goal; giving UB the lead.

With 18 minutes remaining in the game, the Bulls retreated to defend against a determined Eagles offense looking to equalize. Eastern Michigan attempted four shots, forcing Thompson to make two clutch saves to secure the win for UB. 

Mid-American Conference play continues for the Bulls next Thursday, where they will travel to Kalamazoo to take on Western Michigan (4-1-4, 1-0-1 MAC). Kick-off is set for 4 p.m.

Rodrigo Feijão is the senior sports editor and can be reached at rodrigo.feijao@ubspectrum.com

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com