Thursday, September 19, 2024

UB’s Student Engagement office: what is it, and why should you care?

Though the office often flies under the radar, it offers numerous resources for students

A photograph of UB's Student Engagement office, a UB gem often overlooked by students.

Past the smell of sushi and smoothies, the Student Engagement office stands blue and tall at Student Union (SU) 150, so why do so many students miss it? From campus life and counseling services to career design and esports, Student Engagement offers resources for every student to feel like they belong and gives them the opportunity to impact a community.

Senior Associate Director Jude C. Butch says their mission is to “intentionally create impactful programs that promote involvement and empower students to make a positive impact within UB.”

The office hosts workshops and other events, organizes club elections, offers club coaching and financial management, shares accessibility resources, promotes the Intercultural Diversity Center and more. Students can also reach out to Student Engagement Ambassadors, peers who have been trained to help their community, for personalized advice.

Unlike the Student Association, Student Engagement is a part of UB Student Life, which means they receive their funding through a mandatory Campus Life student fee as part of a broad-based fee structure. This funding goes directly into programs, resources and events provided by Student Engagement.

“Outside-the-classroom involvement has a significant positive impact on college student development and our hope is that all students would take full advantage of all the high-quality and meaningful programs and services offered by Student Engagement,” Butch said.

Student Engagement is among several organizations that exist to help students. Not many students may know about their office, but their involvement in the UB community speaks to how much recognition they deserve.

If you’re a student, you are paying the Campus Life fee — don’t waste it.

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com