Thursday, September 19, 2024

UB students share the best and worst fashion trends

From understated Air Force 1s to flashy jewelry to jorts, UB students have a lot to say about fashion trends

A graphic depicting some fashion items that UB students love and don't love.

From TikTok to the catwalk, fashion is moving faster than ever — and UB’s 30,000-plus students are quick to make new styles shine on the Spine. The Spectrum asked six UB students to weigh in on which trends they’re loving and which ones need to be tossed aside.

Here’s what they said:

Best — Chunky jewelry

Chunky jewelry is a statement piece that makes an ordinary outfit expressive and bold.

“I feel like it’s just different,” Karina Gomez, a freshman business major, said. “A lot of people try to be dainty and this is just out there.”

Worst — Stacked jeans

What used to be seen as lazy has recently become a fashion statement throughout the music industry.

“They’re ugly,” said Gomez. “They’re really bad. It just doesn’t look right.”

Worst — Jeans on men

Freshman management student, Madelin Martinez, says jeans have no place in a man’s closet.

“It’s too much,” Martinez said. “They think it looks good on them, but it doesn’t.”

Best — Jorts

As one of the most prominent fashion pieces since the 1960s, jorts just never seem to go away — and Martinez doesn’t mind.

“It elevates an outfit,” she said. “It’s like Hollywood, it makes you look street.”

Worst — Jorts

Isaac Stewart, a freshman majoring in biomedical sciences, disagreed with Martinez’s opinion on jorts as the best fashion trend.

“Jorts or past-the-knee shorts are not it at all,” Stewart said. “Personally, I don’t think they look good.”

Best — Micro-shorts

If you’re thinking of shorts that are belt-sized, you’re almost spot on. This look, heavily influenced by Y2K style, is no longer just a seasonal choice — micro-shorts are a year-round favorite, even in chilly Buffalo.

Sicily Brown, a sophomore marketing major, explains: “I don’t care if it’s cold.”

Even when it is cold they can be paired with patterned leggings, fishnets, or even thermal leggings to stay warm while keeping the look.

Worst — Skinny Jeans

After baggy pants came back into style in the late 2010s, people just couldn’t see skinny jeans the same way. Some went as far as removing them from their wardrobes. 

Public health major Yasmin Muhammad Salim is definitely not a fan.

“Skinny jeans are just not flattering,” she told The Spectrum.

Best — Air Force 1

This sneaker has been running since 1982, and it’s not slowing down any time soon.

“I’m more simplistic. Basic style. I got Air Forces, ya know? I like that,” Stewart said. “[They’re just easy to put on in the morning] and it goes with a lot of stuff.”

Worst — Pajama Pants

Some people bring the bed with them, styling pajama pants with a simple white tank top and calling it a day.

Communications major Taspia Afrin Samia isn’t convinced.

“They are pajamas, which are meant to be worn at home,” Samia said. “No matter how you style them, it just doesn’t look good.”

Some fashion trends come and go, while others are timeless (like jorts). But every fashion has its day in the tunnels and bridges of UB.

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com