Tuesday, September 24, 2024

UB Softball goes 2-0 in doubleheader against Edinboro

Fall ball is now 2-1 in exhibition games

UB softball won both exhibition games on Sunday’s doubleheader against the Edinboro.

After being defeated by the Niagara Purple Eagles in their fall ball opener by a score of 1-5, UB softball (2-1) won both exhibition games on Sunday’s doubleheader against the Edinboro Fighting Scots (0-2) at Nan Harvey Field with scores of 8-1 and 9-1, respectively. 

The first game kicked off at 11 a.m., where both teams went scoreless in the first inning. The Bulls were able to step up and score three runs in the second inning, and kept this up by scoring two more runs in the third. The Fighting Scots put up their first and only run in the fourth inning. UB quickly responded in the fifth inning, with three more runs. This was followed by a slow, scoreless sixth and seventh inning, giving Buffalo the win.

At 1 p.m., the Fighting Scots came out to try a second hand at the Bulls, but were once again unsuccessful. The first inning started out pointless, but freshman catcher and third baseman Bella Smithson gave UB their first point on the board in the second inning. Buffalo continued to push their lead ahead by scoring five runs in just the third inning. The fourth and fifth inning were scoreless for both teams. During the remainder of the game, Buffalo were able to put up three more runs, while the Fighting Scots scored their only run during the seventh inning, losing 9-1.

UB Softball will next take on the Niagara Purple Eagles in a rematch on Saturday, September 28 at 2:30 p.m at Niagara University.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com