Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Recap: Donald Trump and Kamala Harris’ first presidential debate

UB students, professors and Buffalo State professors met over Zoom and in SU 120 to watch and explain the Trump v. Harris debate — here’s what happened

<p>A graphic depicting presidential candidates Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.</p>

A graphic depicting presidential candidates Kamala Harris and Donald Trump.

UB students and professors, as well as professors from Buffalo State, gathered in Student Union (SU) 120 and over Zoom to watch and discuss the first presidential debate between Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump on Sept. 10.  

The goal of the debate was to gain clarity on the two candidates’ policies, with questions from ABC moderators addressing the economy and cost of living, abortion, the border and immigration, fracking, international issues and climate change.

Here’s what each candidate had to say:

Economy and Cost of Living

Vice President Harris

Harris says she sympathizes with the middle and working class of America because of her upbringing in a middle class family. As a result, her “Opportunity Economy” plan is designed to create equal opportunities for all Americans.

The Vice President’s plan includes a tax cut of $6,000 for families during the first year of a child’s life so they can afford “necessities” like “diapers.” She also proposes a $50,000 tax deduction for small businesses.

“I love our small businesses,” Harris said. “I believe they are the backbone of the economy.”

She denounced Trump’s policies, especially “Project 2025,” calling it “Dangerous 2025.”

Former President Trump

Trump clarified he had “nothing to do with Project 2025” and that he made the intentional choice of not reading the proposal.

The former president’s policies include little to no sales taxes and higher tariffs for other countries, especially China. According to Morning Star, the proposed 60% tariff is likely to have an 80% success rate.

“Trump is claiming he will raise revenue with tariffs, and that is of course very possible,” Adamu K. Shaku, Buffalo State’s pre-law coordinator and assistant professor, said. “Before World War I, most federal revenue came from tariffs. We abandoned that in favor of an income tax because tariffs have economic distortion effects.”

The tariff will hit consumers, although it is unclear how much. According to PolitiFact, this number is smaller than Harris’ $4,000 estimate.

Trump also pointed out that most of the tariffs he imposed during his presidency were kept in place by the Biden administration.

Abortion

Vice President Harris

Harris is very sensitive to abortion, saying she would be proud to be the most pro-choice president.

She believes right-leaning abortion policy is too strict, and addresses rape and incest exceptions by using a personal anecdote in which she described her friend who was abused by her step father. Harris pledges to not only protect abortions, but also fertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization, or IVF. 

Harris said she will act on her convictions and promised to attempt to pass a bill in Congress federally protecting abortions.

Former President Trump

Trump clarified that he is “not in favor of an abortion ban.” This, and not being against IVF, prompted some pushback from other Republicans.

Trump believes it would be impossible to get a 50/50 vote in Congress, pointing to the Biden administration’s lack of success in passing a bill on student loan forgiveness as an example.

When asked if he would veto a bill federally protecting abortions, he responded he “wouldn’t have to” since the question of abortion protections are decided by the states. 

“Now you have a vote from the people on abortions,” he said.

Border and Immigration

Vice President Harris

Harris ridiculed the former president, citing the Transnational Border Security Bill that Trump “killed.” The bill would have employed approximately 1,600 more border agents.

Harris said this bill would also have helped to decrease the flow of fentanyl, a drug she said impacts many families, into the country. According to CBS, Harris has not yet issued an immigration policy platform, although she said she endorsed the former Transnational Border Security Bill when it was proposed.

Former President Trump

Trump said people are dissatisfied with the trajectory of the country. His new plan is a deportation proposal in which he will use the local police and the U.S. military to deport illegal immigrants. He said this will reduce crimes committed by illegal immigrants. 

Fracking and Climate Change 

Vice President Harris

Despite her former statements, the Vice President said she will not ban fracking.

“I was the tie-breaking vote on the fracking reduction act,” she said.

Harris said that climate change is a “very real issue,” and that we need to decrease our reliance on foreign oil, increase domestic gas production and invest in diverse sources of energy.

Former President Trump

In his response, Trump said that Harris will “never allow fracking in Pennsylvania.”

Trump said that he is a “big fan” of alternative energy sources, especially windmills and solar power. He believes, however, that some forms of alternative energy take up too many resources, citing that solar plants take up “400-500 acres of soil.”

March at the Capital

Vice President Harris

Harris condemned what happened at the capital on Jan. 6. In response, she said one of her mottos: “We don’t have to go back.”

Former President Trump

Trump said he told his supporters to protest “peacefully and patriotically.” He also said his supporters have been treated badly.

“We need to have good elections,” he said.

Israel and Gaza

Vice President Harris

Harris said that Israel has the right to defend itself, “but it matters how.” 

“Let’s understand how we got here,” she said. “Hamas slaughtered 1,200 Israelis. And women were horribly raped.”

She also said that far too many innocent Palestinians have been killed, and the war must end immediately. She said that they will continue to “work around the clock” on the issue. 

She plans to find a way for Israel to continue to defend itself against countries like Iran, while simultaneously rebuilding Gaza. 

Former President Trump

“If I were president, this never would’ve started,” Trump said. “I know Russia would’ve never gone to Ukraine, and it would’ve never happened.”

The former president said that under his presidency, Iran did not have the resources it has now. He also said he will find a resolution before he even steps foot in office. 

Ukraine

Vice President Harris

Vice President Harris said she agrees with President Biden’s decisions on Ukraine. She said it would be dangerous if Ukraine lost the war and that they have a right to defend themselves.

Former President Trump

Trump said it is best for the war to end immediately. 

“Trump is making a point here that is neglected in the public discourse,” Shauku said. “Russia is a nuclear power. Even if Ukraine could turn the tide of this war, that would only have the result of backing a nuclear power into a corner.”

Comments on the debate from students said that it was “more straightforward” and “more interesting” than debates in the past. 

Don’t forget to register to vote: https://www.ny.gov/SERVICES/REGISTER-VOTE

Sophia Stines is the assistant features editor and can be reached at sophia.stines@ubspectrum.com

SOPHIA STINES

Sophia Stines is a staff writer.