Wednesday, September 25, 2024

The Grapevine

What’s happening at UB this fall semester in the arts world

From concerts, to shows, to exhibits, there is something for everyone this semester.  Here are some events to look forward to this fall:

Almost, Maine

Sept. 27 - 28, Katharine Cornell Theatre

The show explores themes of friendship, love and heartbreak, and is sure to take viewers on a humorous and heart-stopping roller coaster ride of emotions. 

Prices range from $7 for UB students to $22 for an adult ticket, with a deal of $17 for veterans and UB faculty and staff.

Killer Queen - A Tribute to Queen

Sept. 28, Center for the Arts (CFA) Mainstage Theatre

“Killer Queen” features a tribute to the historical band. Patrick Myers plays the incredible Freddie Mercury. The band has been performing this tribute concert for over 30 years, so crowds have been loving it for quite some time.

Tickets range from $43 to $63.

UB’s Distinguished Speakers Series: Jon Meacham

Oct. 9, CFA Mainstage Theatre

A Pulitzer-Prize winning author, Meacham is a contributing writer to the New York Times Book Review and a contributing editor to TIME magazine.

Tickets range from $30 to $50, with $5 tickets available for UB students.

Art in the Open

Oct. 29, CFA

This annual event is an opportunity for the community to get to know each other, and especially student artists. “Art in the Open” hosts everything from music and dance performances to film makers and other entertainment. This is sure to be a highlight of the semester for local UB student artists of all art forms.

It is free admission for UB students and faculty.

Stars with Guitars

Nov. 6, CFA

For country music fans, local country music station 106.5 WYRK is putting on its annual “Stars with Guitars” acoustic show with performances from Scotty McCreery, Chris Lane, Matt Stell, Tigirlily Gold and Drew Baldridge.

This show brings a unique concert experience to UB. Each star will perform one song at a time and talk a bit about each song and what they wrote it about. It gives listeners an insight into the process of creating, and producing a song.

This is a great event for everyone, even people that don’t particularly like the genre of country music. It is a showcase that highlights the process. Writers will especially love this experience.

Tickets range from $34 to $64.

MFA Dance Showcase

Nov. 22 - 23, Black Box Theatre

This showcase will deliver an inside peek into the process of what choreographers experience, and a chance for UB dancers to show off their moves and hard work. This show gives everyone a chance to experiment with different styles and techniques.

Tickets are $22 for adults, $17 for seniors/veterans/UB employees, $12 for students and $7 for UB students.

Visiting Artist Speaker Series

Mondays, CFA 112

A highlight of the fall semester, UB will host different artists every Monday night. September 30th features Chris Woebken, and from there it continues through December 9th, where it ends with Gracelee Lawrence. The full list of speakers can be found here.

Seating is first-come-first-serve, after students enrolled in ART 200 are seated.

There is so much more happening on campus this semester, and these are just a few of the featured events. For a full list, you can visit the events and exhibitions page on the CFA’s homepage.

Josh Pawlik is an assistant arts editor and can be reached at josh.pawlik@ubspectrum.com

JOSH PAWLIK
Josh-Pawlik-UB-Spectrum

Josh Pawlik is an assistant arts editor for The Spectrum. His hobbies include playing guitar, working out and reading. He can be found on Instagram @joshpawlik