Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Hip-hop duo and rappers to headline Fall Fest

Rae Sremmurd, Saweetie and Cash Cobain to take the stage

Fall Fest returns from its cancellation in 2023 this month.

Rae Sremmurd, Saweetie and Cash Cobain will perform for this year’s Fall Fest on Sept. 27, according to an Instagram post the Student Association (SA) released yesterday. 

Hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd — a collaboration between brothers Swae Lee (Khalif Brown) and Slim Jxmmi (Aaquil Brown) — rose to fame when their first album, “SremmLife,” was ranked fifth on Billboard 200. They quickly became prominent on the internet as their song — “Black Beatles” — played during videos of the “Mannequin Challenge,” a viral trend where people are frozen in position while the camera moves around each of them.
Rapper Saweetie (Diamonté Harper) was nominated for both ‘Best New Artist’ and ‘Best Rap Song’ at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards in 2022 for her song, ‘Best Friend,’ featuring Doja Cat. Her rapid success began from her debut single, “Icy Grl,” in 2018 which is now certified double-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Sound producer and rapper Cash Cobain (Cashmere Small) was named Billboard’s R&B/Hip-Hop Rookie of the Month last April. Cobain made a name for himself through several collaborations with notable artists, including J. Cole, Don Toliver and Ice Spice. His debut studio album, ‘PLAY CASH COBAIN,’ was released this past August.
This lineup comes two years after Yung Gravy and Fivio Foreign headlined UB’s Fall Fest in 2022. Last year’s Fall Fest was canceled as SA said that they were unable to solidify dates to use Alumni Arena as a backup indoor venue.
Tickets for Fall Fest are available beginning this Monday at noon. 

Hannah Rashad is the assistant news editor and can be reached at hannah.rashad@ubspectrum.com.

HANNAH RASHAD

Hannah Rashad is a staff writer.