Sunday, September 22, 2024

Meet this year’s elected SA senators

Six out of seven elected senators speak on background, policy platform and goals for the 24-25 academic year

<p>The UB Student Association's office located on the third floor of Student Union.</p>

The UB Student Association's office located on the third floor of Student Union.

The Student Association (SA) Senate is responsible for the SA budget, allocating the money collected from the mandatory student activity fee to SA functions and student club events. It is also considered a voice for the student body as it drafts and votes on resolutions regarding salient issues on-campus. 

Over the past week, voters elected seven senators to fill 12 open seats. The SA Executive appointed senators — those eligible from last year — to the five remaining seats. 

The Spectrum reached out to all seven elected senators to ask about their previous experiences, policy platforms and goals.
Six out of those seven senators agreed to an interview.

1. Kayla Yan - 497 votes, 14.19% of total.

sa-senator-kayla-yan-2024
Courtesy of Kayla Yan

A returning senator, Yan will focus on advocacy for this term and is “all about accountability in the Senate.”

“The undergrads should feel like we have their back,” Yan — a senior computer science major — said, “And that if they have any issues, that we can represent them.”

She said that she “worked with Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) a lot last semester” and now plans on working with UB Parking and Transportation Services and Campus Dining and Shops to “better facilitate students’ needs.”

“I want you guys to feel like SA is there for you,” Yan said. “Giving back to people has always been something that’s, like, very near and dear to my heart.”

2. Benjamin Lau - 428 votes, 12.22% of total.

sa-senator-benjamin-lau-2024

Another returning senator, Lau said that he worked to get the Senate to pass a resolution calling for UB to divest from companies associated with Israel in a collaboration with SJP. While the resolution was repeatedly blocked from a vote last spring, he wants to be “more accessible and more reliable” this year. 

He also intends to work towards accelerating transactions for club orders and utilizing the $109 mandatory student fee to better serve students.

“Between all the fees that you pay for—that the school makes you pay for—this is the only fee that actually gets you something,” Lau — a sophomore business major — said. “I am a student just like you and I am here to try to see what you need.”

3. TJ Ledwith - 412 votes, 11.76% of total.

sa-senator-tj-ledwith-2024
Courtesy of TJ Ledwith

Junior mechanical engineering major Ledwith says that as a club leader of the Baja Society of Automotive Engineers, he has personally experienced a disconnect and a lack of communication from SA.

Ledwith’s platform is “all about problem-solving.” Whether it be through weekly emails or increased communication with club leaders, Ledwith aims to improve SA’s transparency with clubs, especially as someone who’s been on both sides. 

“Consistent communication with clubs,” Ledwith said, “First hand, I have seen the consequences of that not happening.”

He said that he was highly involved in SA last year and attended Senate meetings “more than actual members of the Senate.” 

“It directly affects me. So of course I am going to, you know, try and fix it, that’s the literal reason why I even signed up for this — is to try and effect that change, because me, personally, I need that change.” Ledwith said.

4. Joseph Pawelcyzk - 408 votes, 11.65% of total. 

sa-senator-joseph-pawelcyzk-2024
Courtesy of Joseph Pawelcyzk

President of UB Model United Nations and co-captain of the UB Swim club, Pawelczyk also said that club leaders “don’t get enough transparency from SA about what we’re meant to do.” 

“People don’t trust SA enough. I know, all I heard last year from other club leaders–they don’t trust SA enough, they don’t know what [SA is] doing,” Pawelcyzk said. “We need to build back that trust in our student association–our student body.”

On top of wanting to restore faith in SA, another goal of Pawelczyk’s is to make club involvement easier by “bringing more attention to clubs” so students can “find the clubs they really want.” By bringing clubs “to the forefront,” he hopes to enhance community, and the student experience.

5. Cole DeVantier - 402 votes, 11.48% of total. 

DeVantier did not respond to The Spectrum’s request for an interview or comment by the time of publication.

6. Gavin Krauciunas - 398 votes, 11.36% of total.

sa-senator-gavin-krauciunas-2024
Courtesy of Gavin Krauciunas

Senator of the Residence Hall Association and member of the Greiner Hall Council, Krauciunas served as SA Senate Chairperson last year, and ran again to “continue to create change and make a positive impact on campus this year.”

He said that he is “here for all the students, and [wants] everyone’s voices to be heard.”

“I ensure equality among everyone and don’t let any biased views taint my impression or understanding; I listen to both sides and form my opinion,” Krauciunas, a sophomore criminology major, said. “But, I will never let my personal opinions interfere with the Student Association Senate as it is a non-partisan organization.”

7. Jack Koscinski - 372 votes, 10.62% of total.

sa-senator-jack-koscinski-2024

A freshman finance major, Koscinski said that he hopes that he can be a “positive impact” and “bring in fresh, new ideas.” He is currently involved in several business-related clubs, including the Buffalo Undergraduate Consulting Group, UB Accounting Association and UB Investment.

Koscinski said that he did “some research” on SA activities and policies and that he will spend a lot of the year learning more about how SA functions. In the meantime, he intends to push for transparency, specifically regarding SA internal policy, and to make the organization “open to a lot more people.”

“If anybody, again, wants someone who can speak for them in the Senate, or in the SA if they want changes made so their experience at this school, especially with activities, can be better somehow, reach out to me,” Koscinski said.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com

MYLIEN LAI
mylien-lai.jpg

Mylien Lai is the senior news editor at The Spectrum. Outside of getting lost in Buffalo, she enjoys practicing the piano and being a bean plant mom. She can be found at @my_my_my_myliennnn on Instagram.