Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Artist Kathryn Ramey showcases sustainable art in exhibition at Silo City

How arts are involved in creating a more sustainable world

Kathryn Ramey, an artist, filmmaker, and Professor of Anthropology at Emerson College, put on a film exhibition at Silo City on Sept. 6.

Kathryn Ramey, an artist, filmmaker, and Professor of Anthropology at Emerson College, put on a film exhibition at Silo City, a reclaimed grain silo turned art exhibition near Buffalo’s First Ward. The Sept. 6 exhibition showcased SILVER and earth, a 16mm film highlighting the natural ecology of the location. The film’s purpose was to demonstrate the beauty of the surrounding area and to encourage people to appreciate everyday beauty all around them.

“A lot of people think that in order to make art, you have to have a spectacular subject, or an incredible something, or bout of inspiration, but we’re surrounded by beautiful people, locations [and] sounds,” Ramey said as she introduced the film. “In order to make art, you just have to make yourself open to that, and get inspired by that which is around you.”

Shot in Silo City, the film was developed using materials found at or near the silo, including leaves mixed with a solution of vitamin C and sodium bicarbonate and then printed onto the film itself. This results in an abstract display of the leaves, which on film look almost indiscernible, and yet leave room for so much imagination.

What makes Ramey’s films so unique is their environmentally conscious incorporation of household supplies and natural elements on location. Ramey also uses the original film reels rather than reprinted versions.

All of this goes towards the mission of creating film that is not only more sustainable for the environment, but also repurposing and reimagining the way that filmmakers think about film to begin with.

Ramey’s work and the Silo City event were done in collaboration with Squeaky Wheel, a Buffalo-based film and media center dedicated to education, support and exhibition for media artists. Squeaky Wheel was started in 1985 and offers low-cost equipment rentals, educational workshops for both adults and youth, as well as stipends and residencies for artists to expand and exhibit their work.

“The main takeaway from working with and deepening our collaboration with Silo City was being able to bring an opportunity to artists who are working with ecological practices… and give them that opportunity to work in this incredible space,” Ekrem Serdar, a curator at Squeaky Wheel, said.

It only makes sense that a project that focuses so much on ecology and preserving the environment be displayed in a place that shares its unique message.

“I feel like what makes an event like this stand apart from other arts events in Buffalo is the unique way where the novel ecosystem and site-specific approach to art-making is reflected and enjoyed in a really site-specific way,” Maris Grundy, an ecologist and executive director of Silo City, said. “We were able to engage the ecology on site and then also the cultural and historical uniqueness of this space.”

Ramey’s work, and the work being done at places such as Silo City and Squeaky Wheel, is something that invigorates and inspires. In a day and age when climate change and environmental disasters are a constant concern for many, it’s refreshing to see a new and innovative way of tackling these issues with creativity and self-expression.

The arts desk can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com