Tuesday, September 17, 2024

How UB students are decorating their dorms

What goes into making a dorm a home

In a whirlwind of marketing emails and Pinterest boards, deciding how to decorate a space in college can become overwhelming. Personifying a personal space boosts overall mental health and organization — helpful for not forgetting to buy a $100 textbook. See how UB students are embracing the blank canvas that is their dorm room.

Governors Complex

room decor story govs 1

A decorated room in the Governors Complex.

The reputation of the Governors Complex precedes it, despite the Ellicott Complex being a more popular choice among UB students. Subscribing to the mantra “GOV LOVE,” these UB students’ dorms make the case for cozy living.

Freshman linguistics major Aaron Field planned his decorations in advance using UB’s 3D model feature.

“The 3D models seemed so sad, and I didn’t want it to be depressing,” Field said. 

He welcomes students to his dorm with the popular whiteboard poll. Although dogs won in last week’s dogs versus cats debate, Field’s room is strewn with pictures and art of his three cats. In addition to the sentimental items from home, like a stuffed animal from his grandmother, Field also made a lot of his own dorm decorations. 

“You don’t need to spend a lot to make a space that’s truly yours,” Field said. 

room decor story govs 2

Making a space that’s truly yours can also be a collaborative effort. Since freshmen spend most of their time with their roommates, having decorations to bond over can make the transition that much easier.

“We realized we lived like 10 minutes away from each other, so we met up to buy stuff before school started,” freshman public health major Christeen DeOliveiria said.

DeOliveiria met her roommate through Instagram, and the two conferred about a color scheme for their room. Their popular and classic choice is a perfect representation of the True Blue spirit.

“We chose blue because we thought it represented Buffalo,” DeOliveiria said.

Greiner Hall

room decor story greiner 1

A decorated double room in Greiner Hall.

Transitioning from freshman to sophomore, Greiner Hall is designed for second-years wanting to live in a more open space. 

Keeping with the theme, sophomore mechanical engineering major Julia Walsh made her room open and bright with a coastal theme. Walsh and her roommate stuck true to their unique personalities and worked together to make the room a unique space.

“I feel like my room represents my light and airy vibe,” Walsh said.

Walsh drew inspiration from southern TikTok influencers, and even added a clothing rack in the space. Although it’s not likely Walsh will be using the rack to dress like Kylan Darnell, the space is surely fit for a southern princess.

While these students have mastered the art of dorm living, don’t feel intimidated or fall victim to comparison. Having lots of things is not necessary for lavish living. Having stuff that feels yours is the most important step to take in making a space unique. So take those couple things and make your dorm somewhere you feel happy to come home to.

Sophia Stines is the assistant features editor and can be reached at sophia.stines@ubspectrum.com

SOPHIA STINES

Sophia Stines is a staff writer.