Wednesday, September 25, 2024

A walk through Buffalo’s Music in Arts Festival

Visual, auditorial and performative art thrive in a collaboration of mediums

Buffalo’s Music in Arts Festival hosted a variety of local talent, spanning every genre imaginable, from blue-grass, punk, rock, to Afro-House, Techno and more.

Located in Buffalo’s Outer Harbor sits a truly understated gem, Buffalo’s Music in Arts Festival. The festival consists of a combination of visual, auditorial and performative art exhibitions. The venue is spread out across different themed sections, with more than 10 different stages hosting a variety of local talent, spanning every genre imaginable, from blue-grass, punk, rock, to Afro-House, Techno and more.

One notable group pioneering their own sound are the Sonic Wranglers, consisting of Aaron Armstrong and Steve Meyers. They’ve combined a unique blend of digital and analog sounds together to create a whole new kind of musical experience.

Meyers himself created something he calls the “Painstrument,” an art painting run through electrical channels to give it a unique digital display. Attached are two metal chords which can be played using a bow to create a unique synth sound in coordination with the rest of the instrument. For Armstrong’s part, he does an excellent job mixing different apparatuses to create a new kind of synthetic sound. The duo is a great example of what a little outside the box thinking can create.

On the flip side of the festival, there is also the range of amazing visual artists to explore. With everything from costume designers, sculptures, world builders, jewelers, painters and so much more to entrance the eye. A new art installation brought to the festival in recent years, and headed by Neda Hadisadegh, combines handmade sculptures with interactive storytelling. 

After attending the festival first as an observer, Hadisadegh was inspired by the aliens on that year’s promotional poster, and conceived an idea of her own design alongside the help of her friends. The exhibit known as Fire and Ice, tells the riveting story of the Neptune Water Aliens and their battle with the Fire Elemental Martians.

Moving past the intergalactic space politics down towards the main stage sits the holy grail of delicious food trucks and refreshments. After a long day of dancing, singing, shopping, third eye opening and space travel, the food trucks are a perfect place for festival goers to cool off and enjoy a bite to eat. The selection includes a wide variety of cuisines: Greek, American, Caribbean, Fusion, as well as alternative options for those with allergy or dietary restrictions.

There is so much to enjoy and see in this amazing place, walking along through the serenity of the natural world, Lake Erie as your backdrop, it has something special for everyone. The festival is free for all, and helps support and showcase the immense talent that exists right here in Buffalo, just one more thing for locals to enjoy and take pride in.

The arts desk can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com