Thursday, September 12, 2024

Women’s soccer starts season with historic victory over No. 7 Pittsburgh

Statement win secures UB’s first-ever triumph over a top 10 team

<p>Women's soccer defeated Pittsburgh last Thursday, following a home victory against St. Bonaventure on Aug. 15.</p>

Women's soccer defeated Pittsburgh last Thursday, following a home victory against St. Bonaventure on Aug. 15.

In the program’s first-ever win against a top 10 nationally-ranked team, UB (2-0, 0-0 MAC) defeated the No. 7 nationally-ranked Pittsburgh Panthers (1-1-1, 0-0 ACC) 2-1 last Thursday. The two teams have played each other every year since 2022, with Thursday’s win being UB’s first victory over the Panthers. The historic win comes just one week after UB’s Aug. 15 home victory over St. Bonaventure (0-3, 0-0 A-10), kicking off the 2024-25 season.

In the season opener, UB defeated the Bonnies 1-0 in a nail-biter. The game’s lone goal came in the 80th minute of play after fifth-year midfielder Kelly Severini, making her debut for the Bulls, broke the deadlock with a thunderous header following a cross from sophomore defender Maya Galko, giving them the win.

In the match against Pittsburgh, Buffalo stunned the Panthers early on thanks to senior midfielder Kaya Schultz, breaking the deadlock just shy of the 10-minute mark with a thumping strike that went straight to the top left corner. The lead didn’t last though as Pittsburgh were able to equalize in the 24th minute after heavily pressuring the Bulls’ backline. Although the first half ended with the scores even, the Panthers had a clear offensive advantage.

The second half saw Buffalo strike early once again.

Senior forward Jasmine Guerber, who had missed out on the 2023 season due to injury, netted the eventual game-winner within the first 15 minutes of the half, sending the ball to the bottom right corner after rebounding a blocked shot from Schultz. 

After losing the lead, Pittsburgh began to push forward and test UB’s defense, desperate to equalize once again. The Panthers had outshot the Bulls 15-5 after halftime, but sophomore goalkeeper Lexie Thompson kept the Bulls in the game. She made six crucial saves in the second half and ended the game with a career high of nine total saves, playing a key role in securing the historic win.

“So unbelievably proud of the group and their effort,” head coach Shawn Burke said. “The response, the adjustments and the buy-in from the group was great. It took everyone. There are players who stood on their head today but I think collectively everyone who was here today contributed, and when they come together it’s a special group.”

The landmark victory also marked UB’s third win over a Power 5 opponent under Burke, as well as the end of a losing streak for Buffalo as they had not been able to beat the Panthers since 1996.

With two consecutive wins to start their season, the Bulls will look to continue to build off their momentum in their next match, where they play against Cornell in an away game next Thursday. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Rodrigo Feijão is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at rodrigo.feijao@ubspectrum.com