Friday, October 18, 2024

"Don't ask, don't tell argument puts homosexuals in the middle"

Military rules are unfair and hold no intelligent ground

On Oct. 12, California federal judge Virginia A. Phillips ordered the termination of the U.S. military's fickle "don't ask, don't tell" law, as it violates the equal protection and First and Fifth Amendment rights of openly homosexual enlisted men and women.

Almost immediately, the Department of Justice and the Pentagon began a campaign against the new policy, citing that the sudden changes in arrangements would make problems for other U.S. laws.

Wednesday, a federal appeals court ordered a stay on the decision to repeal "don't ask, don't tell."

Between two sides with steadfast arguments for or against the policy, gay members of the military are catching only flak, as honorably discharged homosexuals attempt to re-enlist in the fray of this seemingly endless argument.

And as the war continues, this simple discrepancy serves as a major distraction to the larger issue at hand. DADT poses an argument with both sides unwilling to give and take, and it makes room for pointing fingers – namely, at our president.

As an editorial board, we think it is utterly ridiculous that the "don't ask, don't tell" policy remains on the table. It will, in all probability, be that stupid rule that supporters will look back on and feel ashamed, like how an elder German might look back on the Third Reich.

And to keep the issue dangling in front of those it affects, repealing a law and then appealing the repeal is sadistic in its inconsideration and worthy of an entry into the book of frivolous arguments.

A number of reasons currently contribute to the political dissonance. Politicians are working to pacify their constituencies as election season steals the scope of importance from relevant issues and gives attention to legislative rhetoric.

Given his vulnerability, it might not be unreasonable to think that perhaps Obama's adversaries are making it bureaucratically difficult for him to keep his promise, as repealing DADT would clearly achieve a high score for the current administration.

The rest seems to be simple homophobia, a trend that it seems many Americans simply cannot grow out of. It irks many to think that our government might give credence to something like homosexuality, a topic of which they are ignorant and of which they are absolutely terrified.

Still, it shows promise that there is at least an argument for the potential freedom of sexuality. It seems that proponents of gay rights are not backing down but are instead rolling with the punches.

Perhaps the death of "don't ask, don't tell" will change our ideals as a collective society, if and when it finally becomes official.