Monday, September 23, 2024

With a little help from my friends

???Walking through the halls of the university or on the streets of your hometown, you would never know how similar we all are. We regulate ourselves - keeping ourselves to the right side of the walkway, staying within our own thoughts and avoiding others.

???It's a common thing to shut everyone else out. We're Americans, therefore we were born like this, into a society that embraces individualist values. In our culture, it's not OK to talk to strangers, we feel bad for listening in on a conversation that isn't ours, and it's not cool to smile or make eye contact with the wrong person.

???It's weird that it's socially awkward to smile at someone you don't know - or someone you see everyday, but to whom you've never bothered introducing yourself.

???How many times do we walk into a class and sit down without saying hi to the people you see everyday? I certainly don't, not only for the fear that they'll not only respond, but I don't want to make it awkward for the rest of the weeks we're in class.

???But, this week I realized how important someone's exertion of some effort that shows some caring is to a person.

???This week, my best friend in the entire world took the worst week to go on vacation in Jamaica. During her absence, I had my first taste of heartbreak, my laptop decided to stop working and my cell phone fell into the toilet.

???That spells out a bad week.

???To my surprise, when all these bad things happened, people flocked to my assistance. I'm currently realizing that people are so willing to help others. It's kind of unbelievable when it's common that the person you are walking two steps behind lets the glass door swing right in your face daily.

???I've always known how good people can be, but it really hit home this week.

???I received words of encouragement via my cell phone and Facebook from everyone that matters in my life. People are so alike in what they're capable of feeling and how they are able to affect each other.

???My best friends from home, roommates and friends that I see day in and day out came to me with hands full of tissues and homemade chocolate concoctions. I've received more advice and hugs this week than I ever had at one time in my life.

???All I can say is thank you, thank you and thank you.

???Thank you for being patient, listening to my jumbled words, giving me hugs and advice to keep my head high and the friend love.

???It's heartening just to have people share stories of similar experiences that connected to me right away. Just knowing that someone had been through the same thing is beneficial.

???I will never be able to repay people for their kindness. I'm glad I'm walking away from this bad week with a renewed faith in people because we are truly a community of human beings who feel the same things.

???We might not always be outwardly emotional or caring, but I know what we are all capable of.

???So, next time you see a classmate having a bad day, say hi and tell them it'll get better because it'll truly make a difference.