Saturday, September 07, 2024

"At Brodo, it's (almost) all about the soup"

"Brodo," the Italian word for broth, is a soup and wine bar on Elmwood Avenue that redefines the dining "night on the town" experience. The soup? Let's just say you need to try it for yourself.

Dark red walls covered with large pieces of modern art, hanging lamps covered in white cloth and mellow lighting merge to create a downtown feel, much like a city café in New York or London.

The tables, though fit for two, are large enough to hold a complementary appetizer of Italian bread and oil, drinks and the meal, with room to spare for the simple decorations.

The front of the restaurant is one of the best features due to its floor-to-ceiling windows providing a full view of Elmwood Avenue from every seat in the restaurant. Best of all, Brodo offers outdoor dining in the summer months, conveniently located on the actual sidewalks of Elmwood.

The menu has a wide variety of fancy dishes at reasonable prices. Primarily a soup and wine bar, ordering at least one of the two is a must.

The restaurant's house specialN a homemade soup bearing the restaurant's name is a flavorful combination of spicy sausage, tomatoes and Swiss cheese. Rotating flavors are offered each day, along with cold soups, which are ideally enjoyed in the heat of summer.

They also offer additional appetizers, like the Caesar or trout salad. Their goat salad combines greens, balsamic vinaigrette and a warm goat puck on top. Other such appetizers include crab cakes and shrimp scampi. The appetizers are mouth-watering, and best of all reasonably priced.

A variety of Italian specialties are also served. Focaccia, an open-faced flat bread, is often topped with things like shrimp, Quattro (four cheeses) and roasted red peppers. Much like a fancy, high-end pizza, the concoction fills the entirety of a rather large plate.

Their panini, a fancy Italian grilled sandwich, served with a side of pasta salad, is another great option. The chicken salad panini was particularly good, filled with chicken salad, basil aioli and tomatoes. There were also beef and hummus options.

Additionally, Brodo offers entrees that are the definition of perfect Italian cooking. There is a steak option that comes with a side of greens and mashed potatoes, pasta of all sorts, and of course, lasagna. The entrees are higher priced, but will leave the customer feeling satisfied.

As if the appetizers and meals weren't enough, Brodo also offers an assortment of incredible desserts. The apple crisp, with a caramel glaze filling, is topped with fresh strawberry, raspberry and blueberry slices. The orange chocolate truffle is soft, rich and layered over a chocolate crust. There is also dark chocolate cake, sorbet and cheesecake.

For a similar dining experience, visit Brodo on Main Street in Snyder. They have a full bar, and will be having bands play in the restaurant throughout the summer.