Saturday, September 07, 2024

Librarians are the sssh: majoring in library science

While growing up, most kids don't dream of someday becoming a librarian.

Yelling at students to quiet down and endless orations about how to find a book are some of the unfortunate stereotypes that might lead some to believe it is an overall boring career.

In reality, receiving a master's degree in library science can open the doors for a variety of career choices for students from all different undergraduate backgrounds. UB's program in library and information studies, with a current enrollment of over 300 students, is fast becoming a popular graduate degree.

"As an undergrad I had no idea what I wanted to do," said Kim Hanford, a first year student in the library and information studies program. Hanford graduated from SUNY Geneseo in May 2006 with a bachelor's degree in English and history.

She spent her junior year in the library getting to know the reference librarians. They gave her insight about library studies as a career path, and she found herself interested in becoming a librarian. The master's degree at UB will make her more marketable upon graduation to pursue her career goals.

"Most people don't go into the program directly from undergraduate school. People come from various fields looking for something different," Hanford said. "A lot of people find that the corporate world isn't for them."

There are many career paths a person can take with a master's in library science. UB does not offer an undergraduate program in this field, but the master's program accepts applications from any undergraduate program.

"The concept of library is what many people misunderstand," said Judith Robinson, the chair of the library and information studies program. "The elements can range in any field that has a collection of materials that's available for use and investigation."

According to Robinson, a master's degree doesn't mean abandoning one's undergraduate studies. This master's degree can help further one's job opportunities in any field, especially because there is a library for every field of study. Even a person with a dance degree can get a master's in library science, and find a career involving choreography libraries, or other such performance arts type libraries.

"(Libraries) range from museum libraries, photo libraries, health libraries, media libraries, newspaper libraries, law firm libraries. Any place with an accumulation of materials is a library," Robinson said. "The world of knowledge is pretty interesting."

Some graduates of the program boast jobs at CNN, the Library of Congress and the National Archives in Washington. There are also students working at a film library, the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake and the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Those who are interested in a corporate career will be able to use their library degree to work internally, helping to gather information for a business. There are also businesses that need documents and records organized for databases, Robinson said.

Students with a master's degree in library and information studies can also use their degree for their own personal entrepreneurial goals. There have been alumni that created information service companies, and others who have taken on the growing popularity of genealogy work.

"Genealogy is another field that librarians can work in. It is the biggest customer base for the National Archives. People search for family history," Robinson said.

Kim Hanford's dream is to work in a school library. Her official title when she graduates will be "school library media specialist."

This semester, Hanford is taking a class that has her visiting school libraries throughout Western New York to experience working in a library first hand. She is also taking classes that to help improve her technology skills. Thus far, she has studied how to make Web sites and java scripts, skills that will be useful even outside of her chosen career path.

UB's program has the students meet with an adviser to set up a plan of studies specific to the type of librarian they want to be. They also offer a dual master's program for those students interested in obtaining a second master's degree besides their library science degree.

"We have simultaneous masters programs with law, music and informatics. These are already established and arranged for those interested," Robinson said. "Any other simultaneous programs can be specially arranged."

This arrangement can be useful for the student that already has a master's program in mind, but may find the library studies program a way to extend their career opportunities. The library studies program is a great way to enhance a student's ability to research, gather and obtain information, as well as enhance technology and organizational skills.

Robinson explained that the program has competitive enrollment and enjoys applicants from the various subjects and cultural backgrounds. Applicants must have a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average, and there is rolling admission.

For Hanford, pursuing a master's degree in library and information studies has been the best choice.

"I am very satisfied," she said.