Saturday, September 07, 2024

Got Plans?

The Spectrum guide to enjoying the Super Bowl

For the 13th consecutive year the Buffalo Bills will not be in the Super Bowl, but one will be hard pressed to find a Buffalonian not glued to a TV screen watching the Bears face the Colts this Sunday evening in Miami.

For UB students, it's just a matter of deciding whom to cheer for.

"I'm rooting for the Colts because I hate the Bears," said Colin Kelley, a sophomore mechanical engineering major. "I hate Chicago."

Others, like John Dambra, a freshman math major, will be watching simply for the fun of it.

"It doesn't matter who wins," he said. "I just want it to be a good game."

For those who haven't given Super Bowl XLI a thought yet, The Spectrum has compiled the necessities for a perfect party.

Location. On campus, some students are opting for a quiet evening with friends while others will be leaving the warmth of home for a party somewhere in Buffalo.

Ashish Abraham, SA International Club Coordinator, loves watching games at Anchor Bar, but will be spending Sunday with friends.

"I love the Anchor Bar, but I feel getting together with friends is a more quality experience," he said. "Wings, beer, football and friends - it's premium."

For Ryan Durling, a junior English major, and Chris Drucker, SA Engineering Club Coordinator, Buffalo Wild Wings on Niagara Falls Boulevard, Transit Road or Elmwood Avenue is the place the perfect atmosphere for the Super Bowl.

If heading to the bars, be sure to plan ahead to get a seat and a good view.

"Wild Wings is going to be packed, but if you get there early it will be worth it," Drucker said.

For those students who live in the dorms or on campus apartments they are likely to find a party without even stepping outside. Partying at home combines the benefits of a big crowd with the comforts of staying in. There may be several parties on a single floor, which is a great way to mingle and bond with neighbors.

"Being in the dorms encourages partying for the Super Bowl," said Regina Yazbeck, a freshman undecided major. "It's another reason to party."

Food. Regardless of where you will be, good food has a way of topping off any party. Chicken wings - Buffalo's staple food - are an absolute necessity, perhaps second only to pizza and taco dip.

"I like to be healthy, so I'll go for the veggie tray," Yazbeck said.

Barbequing is always a great way to celebrate football, making the party feel like a tailgating experience. Hot dogs, or pigs in a blanket, hamburgers, and sausage with peppers are easy to prepare and inexpensive enough to serve a large crowd.

Be sure to check out local grocery ads for additional Super Bowl food ideas as well as special savings.

Subs are another great food choice, but it may be difficult to please every plate.

Traditions. "I remember the Titans and the Rams in 2000, because the Titans were at the one yard line and lost with six seconds left," said Skylar Harris, a freshman legal studies major, whose favorite commercials are always those from Bud Light.

Katelyn Keller, a sophomore biology major, always spends the Super Bowl with her sorority. This year they will be attending a fraternity rush event.

"I like the funny commercials in between," said John Dambra, who always spends the Super Bowl with family. The parties they have always end up being more fun than the game itself.

For Joe Siracuse, a sophomore pre-pharmacy major, the Super Bowl is an opportunity for team bonding. He always watches the game with his fellow cheerleaders. They all share a common love for football even if they don't follow any of the teams.

Colin Kelley loves the Super Bowl for the coming of age memories it brings to mind.

"Back when the Packers played the Patriots I got wasted for the first time," he said. "I thought I was so cool."