Monday, September 16, 2024

"Molly's Pub gives up license, could reopen"

The owners of Molly's Pub, a popular Main Street bar shut down after a Dec. 15 raid for serving minors, have agreed to a liquor license cancellation and forfeiture of the bar's $1,000 bond, according to The Buffalo News.

State Liquor Authority commissioners, meeting in New York City, accepted the conditional no-contest plea Wednesday on behalf of the bar's license holder, WAM Corp., and its principal, William W. Hall.

The plea means the license holder is free to reapply to reopen the bar at 3199 Main St., but Kimberly Morella, Liquor Authority spokeswoman, said authority commissioners themselves would review any application.

The authority's investigators and state police raided Molly's Pub and PJ Bottoms in the University District, charging three bartenders and 20 underage drinkers.

PJ Bottoms was not charged as a result of that raid, but on Jan. 5 commissioners revoked the bar's license and barred any new license at 3270 Main St. for two years because of an improperly licensed party held for the Schussmeisters ski club there in October.

Dennis Black, UB vice president for Student Affairs, said the university would soon deal with any students charged during the raids. He also said he would speak with Schussmeisters, which has stated that the party's setup, and therefore its leniency towards minors, was PJ Bottoms' responsibility.