Sunday, September 22, 2024

Harriman Hall becomes Harlem for a night

South Campus' Harriman Hall could have been easily mistaken for the 1920s Savoy ballroom on Saturday evening.

"Stompin' at The Savoy," an event sponsored by the Black Student Union, marked the 14th anniversary of their first event as a club and has historical significance.

In the 1920s, African Americans were only allowed as performers at the famous "Cotton Club" in Harlem. At the Savoy, however, African Americans could perform as well as relax and socialize in the club.

"The Savoy Club was picked because of its variety. At the Cotton Club, African Americans performed for white patrons and that was it," said Richard Hayden, a historian of BSU. "We liked the Savoy Club location because blacks and whites could mingle with each other in a relaxed environment."

The event kicked off with a live jazz band, somber red lighting, and a hostess to greet guests at the door. The hall was set up in a ballroom-type fashion with tables on the perimeter of the stage where the bands and performers entertain.

"I came out to pay tribute to Black History Month," said Samille Reddic, a freshman accounting major. "I like the fact that people don't see it as only a social event, but where they can come out and show reverence for Black History."

The ceremony began with the Black National Anthem "Lift Every Voice and Sing," performed by Nadine Brooks, a junior exercise science major at the university.

"The live band is so much better than some events which have a DJ playing the same songs all night," Brooks said.

Following the National Anthem, rapper and poet Rhyson Hall gave the crowd a taste of his spoken word and performed an original song orchestrated by the jazz band. Rhyson's sister, Leah Hall, a senior at Hutchinson Technical High School, gave the crowd her rendition of the gospel great, "His Eye Is on the Sparrow."

"I like the atmosphere," said Tyrone Johnson, a senior communication major. "I came out tonight to support BSU and listen to the jazz band."

A surprise guest appearance by Vonetta Rhodes, daughter of the founder of Black Student Union, performed two poems, "Melanin Man" and "Mama's Love."

Simone Hicks, president of the Black Student Union, said she was pleased with the attendance and overall event.

"The event was a definite success with a great turnout," Hicks said. "This is probably the best attendance that we have had in years."