Friday, October 04, 2024

NFL Draft Preview

With the NFL Draft less than a week away, one would think that the draft picture would be pretty close to being all set. But as always, there are a lot of questions that have yet to be answered and probably won't be until draft day.

Will the Chargers hold on to the top pick? Who is the best receiver out of the deepest group to enter the draft in recent memory? Where will MAC Alum Ben Roethlisberger go?

With those questions in mind, here is The Spectrum's 2004 NFL Draft Preview.

1 - San Diego Chargers - Eli Manning

The Chargers, who were apparently asking too much for the No. 1 pick, will most likely hold on to the pick and take Manning in order to avoid another Ryan Leaf-esque debacle.

2 - Cleveland Browns - Robert Gallery

Look for the Browns to trade up for Oakland's pick in order to take Gallery, who projects to be a stud left tackle for years to come.

3 - Arizona Cardinals - Larry Fitzgerald

Apparently the Cardinals are looking to drop down and stock up on picks, however if the Browns move to No. 2 there may not be many takers for the Cards pick. The only reasonable option for them would be to draft Fitzgerald, the most complete of all the WR's.

4 - New York Giants - Ben Roethlisberger

Roethlisberger has all the physical tools to be the best QB to come from this draft and unless Robert Gallery is still around, the Giants are looking at Roethlisberger as the QB of the future.

5 - Washington Redskins - Kellen Winslow

The former Miami (Fla.) TE would be a good fit for the 'Skins offense and he really fills their need for an athletic TE/H-Back.

6 - Detroit Lions - Sean Taylor

Taylor will probably have the biggest impact on whatever team gets him, as he is the prototypical NFL safety. The Lions have bigger needs at other positions, but Taylor is too talented to pass up at No. 6.

7- Oakland Raiders - Roy Williams

Al Davis is apparently set on the former Texas WR, who would add a lot to the aging Raiders' receiving core.

8 - Atlanta Falcons - Tommie Harris

The Falcons have switched to a 4-3 defense and are looking for a big time DT to anchor the line, which is exactly what Harris is.

9 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Kenechi Udeze

With Roy Williams and Fitzgerald gone, the Jaguars will probably take Udeze who posted great numbers at the pre-draft combines.

10 - Houston Texans - DeAngelo Hall

With Marcus Coleman moving to safety the Texans are looking for help at corner, and Hall is the top rated CB in the draft.

11 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Phillip Rivers

With Tommy Maddox near the end of his career, Rivers would be a good fit as Pittsburgh's QB of the feature.

12 - New England Patriots - Steven Jackson

The Pats would love to get Jackson, who has had great workouts, and the Jets are looking to trade down in order to get some picks they've given away in recent moves.

13 - Buffalo Bills - Mike Williams

Williams, who has a ton of potential, would be the perfect complement for Eric Moulds.

14 - Chicago Bears - Vince Wilfork

Wilfork is the perfect fit to anchor the Bears defensive line in the future and he is apparently in better shape then ever before, which could spell trouble for opposing linemen.

15 - Denver Broncos - Reggie Williams

The Broncos will probably trade up for the Bucs' pick and take the third Williams of the draft.

16 - San Fransisco - Will Smith

Smith is an excellent pass-rushing DE that would give the Niners some much needed help off the end.

17 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Lee Evans

Evans' speed and hands would make him a perfect fit for John Gruden, who is looking for a receiver.

18 - New Orleands Saints - Dunta Robinson

Robinson has impressed everyone with his workouts and would fit in well with the Saints.

19 - Minnesota Vikings - D.J. Williams

In keeping with the Williams trend, the Vikes are in need of an outside linebacker to take Chris Claibornes' spot, which Williams is.

20 - Miami Dolphins - Shawn Andrews

The Dolphins really need offensive linemen and Andrews, despite weight issues, is the best available.

21 - New York Jets - Chris Gamble

Gamble is a great athlete and would fill a large need in the Jets defensive backfield.

22 - Dallas Cowboys - Kevin Jones

Despite really low 40 times, Jones is still the best RB available for Bill Parcels and the Cowboys.

23 - Seattle Seahawks - Randy Starks

Seattle needs a defensive lineman and with the big names gone, Starks is probably the smartest pick for Seattle.

24 - Cincinatti Bengals - Marcus Tubbs

Once again, the Bengals are in the market for DTs and with everyone else gone the Bengals will take a gamble on Tubbs, who has talent, but a number of issues surrounding him.

25 - Green Bay Packers - Michael Clayton

Clayton is a big, strong, playmaking WR who would be a good fit for the Packers.

26 - St. Louis Rams - Jason Babin

Babin, another MAC product, would help the Rams get over the pain of losing Grant Wistrom in the offseason.

27 - Tennessee Titans - Antwan Odom

Once again, the Titans will look to replace an outstanding DE, Jevon Kearse, with Odom, probably the second best DE available.

28 - Philadelphia Eagles - Vernon Carey

Carey is this draft's best interior lineman, which would make him a perfect fit for Philadelphia.

29 - Indianapolis Colts - Karlos Dansby

Dansby is a terrific athlete at OLB and he would help the Colts defense, which did little to help the team's playoff run last season.

30 - Kansas City Chiefs - Michael Jenkins

Jenkins would be an excellent target for QB Trent Green.

31- Carolina Panthers - Rashaun Woods

The Panthers need someone with more playmaking ability than Mushin Muhammed at WR, which Woods would give them.

32 - New England Patriots - Jonathan Vilma

The Pats could use some help with their interior defense and Vilma would be a nice fit next to Teddy Bruschi in the 3-4 scheme.