The grapevine: A comprehensive of Buffalo’s weekly concerts

The grapevine is a weekly concert comprehensive seeking to bring all the latest and greatest Buffalo concerts to your fingertips. In this week’s installment, a diverse lineup of groups graces the local scene. From the pop icons One Direction to the underground electronica kings Ratatat, Buffalo has a concert for everyone. Celebrate (or lament) the return of school by going downtown for one of these great concerts.

Wednesday, Sept. 2

Counting Crows, Citizen Cope and Hollis Brown – Artpark

The Counting Crows are coming to Buffalo to headline one of the last concerts scheduled at Artpark this summer. The show will also feature rock bands Citizen Cope, who opened UB’s Spring Fest in 2014, and Hollis Brown as opening performers. The concert will be held at the outdoor venue on Wednesday night.

Thursday, Sept. 3

One Direction – Ralph Wilson Stadium

The pop super group consisting of Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Harry Styles and Louis Tomlinson – a fifth member, Zain Malik, recently left the group – will be performing at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home of the Buffalo Bills, on Thursday. The sold-out show is set to feature hits such as “Night Changes” and “You & I.” Due to the group’s popularity, tickets will be near impossible to find.

Ratatat – Rapids Theatre

Electronica Ratatat is touring for their newest album, Magnifique. The groovy band is known for its progressive electronic aesthetic, utilizing simple keyboard and drum loops to the fullest. If you have heard of Ratatat, come and check them out at Rapids Theatre on Thursday – it’s bound to be a dance party.

Friday, Sept. 4

Luke Bryan, Dustin Lynch and Randy Houser – Darien Lake PAC

The final concert of Darien Lake’s summer series is set to be one filled with cowboy boots and flannels. Country superstar Luke Bryan is performing two nights in a row – he will also be performing Thursday Sept. 3 – to cap off Darien Lake’s summer concerts with some country and rock and roll, alongside fellow country musicians Dustin Lynch and Randy Houser. Grab your friends, go tailgate and enjoy a country fest.

Saturday, Sept. 5

Thompson Square – UB Tailgate Series

The first performing artist at UB’s Tailgate Concert Series will be Thompson Square. Husband-and-wife powerhouse Keifer and Shawna Thompson have been signed to Broken Bow Records since January 2010. The duo is on tour after announcing the birth of their first child earlier in August. They will play prior to kickoff of the football’s team game against Albany.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at brian.windschitl@ubspectrum.com